MainDoctor WhoMusicSoftware
Main Page

Alden Bates' Weblog

Feigning normality since 1973

Worst New Album Experience Ever - Moby, Hotel

Filed in: Music.

So Moby's latest album Hotel came out. I'd already decided to get the limited edition version, because it comes with an extra CD of ambient music and it's also in a lavish cardboard slip case. Unfortunately, it also comes with the dreaded "Copy Control" rubbish on it.

Hotel played... I won't say fine, because the intentional errors in the data manifested as clicks and ticks in the sound. This is especially obvious on the quieter tracks where the graceful strings are intermittently interrupted by a sound similar to a spark jumping between two wires. Then I tried to play the ambient CD, and my player wouldn't recognise it at all. When I put it in my PC, Windows reported it was corrupt or an invalid format. I bought the $40 Limited Edition version for an extra CD which turned out to have all the properties of a coaster.

OTOH, I also bought Daft Punk's new album "Human After All" yesterday. Not only was it only $25, but it is damn good. I'll have a review up on my music page (which is now valid XHTML! Woo!) soon.

Posted March 17, 2005 12:24 AM

Trackback Pings

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Worst New Album Experience Ever - Moby, Hotel:

• Previous Entry followups from Alden Bates' Weblog
    MT 3.2 seems to have solved my problem with new entries showing entry #1 as the next link. Since the R4 run of Justice League: Starcrossed was frelled, I ordered the R1 version from Amazon - this turned out... [Read More]
    Tracked on August 29, 2005 7:49 PM

Comments

What are these changes going to do for Ipods. I rip the CD's I own (mostly) so I can have them all together. If I can't put it onto my $340 iPod I don't want it.

Posted by: Bubblehead | March 18, 2005 4:53 AM

Yes, it's clear to me now why downloading is so popular. Given the choice between spending $40 on a CD which may or may not work, and simply downloading the music online, it's obvious which is the more favourable option.

Posted by: Alden Bates | March 18, 2005 8:30 AM

Hi, I rea dwith interest your review about Moby latest album, quiet surprising you don't like

I invit you to visit my Mobyblog, do not hesitate to write some comment

Posted by: DJ Moby | April 3, 2005 8:46 AM

Oh, it's not that I don't like it, just that I can't *play* it.

Posted by: Alden Bates | April 3, 2005 1:19 PM

I have the exactly same problem! I bought the deluxe edition and I can't bring myself to listen, cos it bugs the HELL out of me whenever I hear the clicks. It's like someone scratching their nails down a blackboard anytime I hear a click! aaaah, the least they could do would be have a code on their cd's so that people who buy them but want them on iPod's etc can download ONE copy of all the songs online specifically for use on digital equipment if they are going to intentionally put errors on their cd's! I will be telling everyone I know not to bother purchasing the new MOBY album, pathetic service to fans.

Posted by: Cat | May 15, 2005 2:13 PM

Just press and hold shift when you load the CD in Windows, ripped fine for me using CDex.

Posted by: Oly | September 28, 2005 10:50 PM

Oly: I know already how to circumvent the "copy protection", but that wasn't my point - the point is, if I spend $40 on something, I expect it to work without having to do anything other than stick the disc into my player.

Posted by: Alden Bates | September 28, 2005 11:17 PM