I finally got around to playing this today - my brother gave me a copy for Christmas. I started playing the first park, but had to stop as it was suddenly 4 hours later...
Some initial thoughts:
- I really like what they've done with the graphics. The whole 3Dness adds more reality, and the ability to ride the rides! They still managed to keep the same level of cusomisation as the previous two games though.
- The ride creation is basically the same as RCT1 and RCT2, which is good. I much prefer those to the less intuitive method in Theme Park World.
- Raising and lowering ground seems to be a lot harder. I tried to make a simple pond and ended up with the ground going everywhere.
- It also seems to be slightly harder to get the people to ride the rides. They seem to either love a ride or stay away from it.
- It took a while for me to work out how to train the staff - the only place you can do this seems to be in the Human Resources screen, by pressing the "plus" box next to the staff member. Also, staff can now get disgruntled - several entertainers quit before I worked out how to give them a pay rise.
- More customisable shop produce! Looks more like the options in Theme Park World, actually. Although shops can now break down...
- A golf course with more than 4 hole types - huzzah! :P
- There no longer seems to be a people summary screen, so you can't get an idea of what the overall opinion of the guests is, other than the approval rating scale. The new variety of people is a pretty cool improvement over RCT2 though.
- No sign of any VIPs yet... Must try making a fireworks display. :)
I shall have to waste some more time in this highly unproductive pursuit at some point...