A number of things about Movable Type are still bugging me.
- I upgraded to version 3.31 the other day, and it was still really horrible to do. Why do there need to be so many library files? Why does the directory structure in the zip file seem so bizarre? Why can't I download a zip which doesn't have all the dynamic stuff (which I don't use) in it?
- The switches to notify weblogs.com/technorati keep switching themselves off for no apparent reason. WTF?!
- No static paging option for category archives (there's a plugin to do this in a dynamic fashion).
I've been thinking of writing a plugin for paged archive files forever, but the learning curve for writing MT plugins is daunting.
I'd like to switch to Wordpress, but this is why I'm not:
- The back-end is still fugly (not really much of an issue as there are plugins to fix this).
- I'm not sure if Wordpress can keep the filenames of the posts the same. If it's smart it can.
- Still no static publishing option.
The last one is a bit of a hurdle for me. Why does Wordpress depend on accessing a database server simply to construct content which rarely changes?